On 10 December 2020, Shaimerden Chikanayev, Partner, GRATA International will give a webinar on: 'Reforming the Gas Market in Kazakhstan: Main Problems and Legal Aspects'.
Time: 12:00 - 1:00 p.m. (time of Nur-Sultan).
The webinar will focus on the following issues:
1. The current model of the gas market and the gas industry conditions in Kazakhstan;
2. Main disadvantages of the current legislative framework of the Kazakhstan gas market: opportunities for structural reforms:
- State regulation of wholesale and retail gas prices and the issue of cross-subsidising of local consumers at the expense of foreign consumers and remote or poor regions of Kazakhstan - at the expense of gas producing regions, as well as Kazakh gas producers.
- Lack of a transparent cost reflecting tariff for pipeline gas transmission services.
- Underdeveloped exchange (e.g. gas hubs), trading in natural gas.
- State pre-emptive right of KTG and the need to liberalise gas exports.
- Incomplete privatization and unbundling of the monopolist's (KMG) activities by type of activity (i.e. ownership unbundling).
- Outstanding issue of non-discriminatory third-party access to trunk and distribution pipelines.
3. Future opportunities and possible consequences of the launch of the EAEU common gas market in 2025.
4. Selective reforms or liberalisation? What to expect?
You can register at→