On 28 December 2020, Shaimerden Chikanayev, Partner, GRATA International will give a webinar on: 'Gas market reform in Kazakhstan: main problems and legal aspects'.
Time: 14:00 PM (time of Nur-Sultan).
The webinar will focus on the following issues:
1. The Current model of the gas market and the state of the gas industry in Kazakhstan
2. Main shortcomings of the current legislative architecture of the Kazakhstan gas market: prerequisites for structural reforms:
- State regulation of wholesale and retail gas prices and the issue of cross-subsidizing local consumers at the expense of foreign consumers and remote or poor regions of Kazakhstan at the expense of gas producing regions, as well as Kazakhstan's gas producers.
- Lack of a transparent tariff for gas transportation services through gas pipelines, reflecting costs.- Undeveloped exchange (e.g. gas hubs) natural gas trading.
- State pre-emptive right of KazTransGas JSC (KTG) and the need to liberalize gas exports.
- Incomplete privatization and division of the activities of the monopolist (KazMunayGas (KMG) and KTG) by type of activity (i.e. division of ownership-ownership unbundling).
- The unresolved issue of non-discriminatory third-party access to main and distribution gas pipelines.
3. Prospects and possible consequences of the launch of the common gas market of the Eurasian Economic Union (EAEU) in 2025.
4. Selective reforms or liberalization of the gas market? What to expect?
You can register at→