On April 11, 2022, a webinar on the topic: «The Institute of Public-Private Partnership (PPP) in the civil law of Russia and Central Asian countries and the problem of qualifying a PPP agreement» will be held in cooperation with Bestprofi.
Without a proper understanding of the public-private partnership (PPP) as a legal category, properly enshrined in national legislation and public policy instruments in the field of PPP, misuse of the PPP mechanism by corrupt government officials and dishonest business representatives, as well as inefficiency of the use of the PPP mechanism in general, is inevitable. Kazakhstan is a vivid example of such an unsuccessful development of PPP so far. Due to the uncontrolled growth of "fake" PPP projects in Kazakhstan, the head of state Kassym-Jomart Tokayev in 2019 admitted, that in Kazakhstan "the very idea of PPP is discredited." Development of PPP in Russia so far is also encounters a lot of problems, because of misunderstanding of the concept of PPP by different stakeholders, that is evident from the resonant so-called "Bashkir", "Tuva" and "KhMAO" court cases, in which, at the initiative of the FAS (antimonopoly authority), the generally accepted understanding of PPP in Russia was exposed to the risk of revision. Within the framework of this webinar, we will look at how PPP is understood in the best world practice, including taking into account harmonization within the framework of UNCITRAL, as well as in the countries of Central Asia and Russia, and also discuss differences in approaches to understanding of such legal concepts as "PPP object" and "public partner" in different countries. We shall also make preliminary conclusions on what Kazakhstan can learn from the international best practice for its own PPP state and law policy.
Time: 12:00-13:30 PM (Kazakhstan, Almaty time).
The speaker will be Shaimerden Chikanayev, Partner of GRATA International, Almaty.
1. The concept and features of PPP in international practice
- The concept of PPP in international practice
- The concept of a state partner in international practice
- The concept of PPP object in international practice
- Legal nature of PPP and PPP agreements in world practice
2. The concept and features of PPP in domestic practice
- The concept of PPP in domestic practice;
- The concept of a state partner in domestic practice;
- The concept of PPP object in domestic practice;
- Legal nature of PPP and PPP agreements in domestic practice.
3. Key Findings
Participation is free.
Registration is available via the link.