The Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers dated August 5, 2019 No. 648 “On procedure of assigning the status of Honorary citizen” was adopted.
The status is assigned to foreign citizens and stateless persons:
- who have made a significant contribution to the development of science, culture and art, education, healthcare and the social sphere, carrying out charitable activities in Uzbekistan;
- who invested in the amount of at least 40,000 times the basic calculated value at the time of making the investment, in the form of acquiring shares of business companies, creating a foreign or joint venture in our country.
This status can be assigned on the initiative of the President.
The decision is taken by the Senate, and the certificate is signed and handed over by the Chairman of the Senate.
If this initiative was initiated by the bodies of state and economic management, the decision is taken respectively Jokargy Kenes of the Republic of Karakalpakstan, Kengashes (Councils) People’s Deputies of the regions and the city of Tashkent. The certificate is signed and handed over by the Chairman of the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Karakalpakstan, khokims of regions and the city of Tashkent.
Individuals who have been assigned the status are granted certain rights. They are entitled for the following:
- to receive a multiple 3-year visa without paying a state duty with the possibility of an unlimited amount of extension of its validity without the need to leave the territory of Uzbekistan, including for family members;
- to issue and extend a temporary residence permit in the internal affairs bodies for a period of up to 3 years without paying a state duty, including for family members;
- to receive a permanent residence permit and a residence permit in the Republic at the place of temporary residence without paying a state duty, including for family members;
- as a matter of priority, to be accepted by local government officials on the socio-economic development of the territory.
However, this status is not a basis for obtaining citizenship of the Republic of Uzbekistan.
The status is deprive in the following cases:
- commission of a grave or especially grave crime;
- identification and confirmation of the fact that the investment was received as a result of a crime related to the legalization (laundering) of criminal proceeds.
Deprivation of status entails the cancellation of the granted rights.