On September 20, 2023, an information seminar will be held in Almaty: “US sanctions: basic provisions and practical issues of working under sanctions” in a hybrid format (offline/online).
Time: 10:00-12:30 AM (Almaty time).
Venue: Esentai Tower Business Center, 77/7 Al-Farabi Avenue, 8th floor (Medeo Hall).
The working language is English.
Peter Jeydel, a DC-based attorney with Steptoe & Johnson LLP will be a speaker at the seminar. Mr. Jeydel is an expert in U.S. economic sanctions and export controls, and advises companies and banks globally on compliance with these rules. Mr. Jeydel specializes in helping clients navigate grey areas where the applicability of these U.S. laws extraterritorially is not always clear, particularly when there are conflicting local laws.
The following issues will be discussed during the seminar:
- U.S. sanctions compliance beyond the “SDN list”;
- How to confirm that U.S. sanctions do not apply when operating outside the United States?;
- What are the obligations if local law prohibits compliance with U.S. sanctions?;
- What additional restrictions and risks arise from U.S. export controls?;
- Real-world enforcement risk;
- How to comply? What would satisfy the U.S. government?
o Ownership/control due diligence and effective screening;
o End-user certifications;
o Other approaches.
For registration questions, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org