A new edition of the Civil Code
The President ordered to create a new edition of the Civil Code of the Republic of Uzbekistan (the “Civil Code”), which shall meet the requirements of the real market economy and international standards.
The President Shavkat Mirziyoyev ordered to prepare a new edition of the Civil Code, which will replace the present edition, adopted in 1995-1996.
The following areas are determined as a priority for the improvement of the Civil Code:
- systematization and unification of norms of civil law, their harmonization with the best foreign practices, as well as the implementation of advanced international standards in this area;
- establishment of effective civil law mechanisms to guarantee the security of private property, protection of the rights and legitimate interests of individuals and legal entities, especially entrepreneurs;
- a clear distinction between the norms of public and civil law, the elimination of outdated and no longer significant provisions, which were based on the command-and-control principles of economic management;
- legal regulation of modern civil law institutions and forms of economic relations, such as public-private partnership, cluster production, e-commerce, crypto-currency turnover, land privatization and equity construction.
The document approved the concept of improvement of civil law. According to the concept, the new edition of the Civil Code will exclude or improve the norms allowing different interpretations, reduce references, introduce new principles of civil legal relations taking into account moral principles and ethical norms of society, improve the law of obligations, the institution of transactions and others.
The prospective results of implementation of the concept:
- creation of legal principles of further liberalization of economy;
- decrease of the governmental presence in economy;
- strengthening the protection of owners’ rights and providing a priority role to private property in economy;
- improvement of trade environment and investment climate;
- promotion of the positions of the State in international ratings.
For the improvement of civil law there was formed an interdepartmental commission, which is led by the Minister of Justice, Ruslanbek Davletov. A draft of a new edition of Civil Code shall be developed and introduced to the Cabinet of Ministers by 1 April 2020.