Yerbolat Yerkebulanov is a Partner and Head of Subsoil Use Department (Almaty) of GRATA International. He has extensive experience in advising international clients on issues related to Oil & Gas, Mining, M&As, EPC contracts, commercial agreements, regulated procurements,
Prior to joining GRATA International in November 2010 Yerbolat gained experience as a legal counsel in the largest cellular communications operating company in Kazakhstan (07/2001-01/2006) and in the company owning two hydrocarbons contracts (02/2006-10/2010).
He has substantial experience in undertaking and supervising work for a number of oil and gas, mining and services companies, including, inter alia, Korean National Oil Corporation (KNOC), Rio Tinto, North Caspian Operating Company (operator of Kashagan, the world's largest oil discovery of the last 40 years), Polymetal, NordGold, Sinopec, Baker Hughes, Eurochem, Repsol, Pertamina, ENRC, CGNPC, Mubadala, MOL, JBIC, Tethys, MIE Holding, Severstal; or with regard to such companies as Karachaganak Petroleum Operating B.V. (one of the world's largest gas condensate fields), Maersk, Maten Petroleum, etc.
- Al-Farabi Kazakh National University, International Law degree (2001).
- Oil & Gas;
- Contract Law.
- German (B2)
- Kazakhstan Bar Association (kazbar.org.kz) (2013 – present).
Yerbolat has a number of publications in the sphere of Oil & Gas and Mining with regard to local content, subsoil users’ procurements, issues of termination of subsoil use contract, ways of acquisition of subsoil use right. More than 20 articles have been published in Kazakhstani and foreign mass media (OGEL, ICLG – www.iclg.co.uk).
Among his recent articles of interest are:
- Kazakhstan: New Local Content Approach (OGEL, 2012);
- On Both Sides of the Caspian Sea: a Comparative Analysis of the Investment Law in Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan Exclusively for Petroleum Analytical Journal (2013);
- Kazakhstan: New Investment Climate (2013);
- Kazakhstan - Oil & Gas Regulation 2014 (ICLG, 2014);
- Yerbolat Yerkebulanov’s interview in the newspaper “Drilling Solutions” (October 2015);
- Kazakhstan: Procurement and National Suppliers (April 2016);
- Mining Law 2016;
- The International Comparative legal guide to: Mining Law 2017 (September 2016);
- Key Potential Changes in Oil and Gas Regulation (April 2017);
- Translation of the New Code on Subsoil and Subsoil Use for mining companies (March 2018).
Conducted about 40 seminars on issues of local content, procurement, reporting and inspections of subsoil users, construction of objects of oil and gas sphere, pledge of the subsoil use right in Aksai (KPO), Atyrau (NCOC, TCO), Aktau, Karaganda, Kyzylorda and Almaty.